Perantau - a voyager

A recent articles about Univ of Michigan offering in-state tuition (discounted) tuition rates to students who are technically illegal residents of the state.

This ignited a political debate with an old friend. The traditional argument, if you are an illegal immigrant, you have no rights to the public education opportunities offered to a country's citizens.

This got me thinking a lot about citizenship and our rights of claim to things.

I personally believe that the world should have no borders, everyone is a child of God, we should be free to choose to make our fortune and work an honest living wherever we want to.

If I am working abroad with my own talent and energy, I am paying taxes and enjoying the public benefits that the government is providing. I don't expect it per se, but I would appreciate their gesture caring for me as part of the community.

The same thing applies to all the immigrant workers in Malaysia, here in the US or any country. If they are making an honest living, what gives me a right to say that their kids are less better than any children of a native and they can't go to the public schools for an education?

If I extend the logic infinitely, I don't own rights to any country's public system just through my birth right. If anything, I am reaping the benefits of what my ancestors have sowed for, the taxes they have paid, since they migrated from China to Malaysia decades ago.

My argumentative friend argued that I should even let hobos sleep on my doorstep.
I agree and would gladly accommodate any homeless brother or sister.
But do I really "own" my doorstep?
Of course, if I have worked hard and earned it, it is mine. But what is really ours?
I don't know if I actually own anything. Everything I have, God has generously bestowed upon me. I was born in a healthy family, provided with the best education at home and in school, in a country free of warfare and natural disasters. Did I earn this privilege and good fortune?

I don't think so. Somewhere up there God or karma have decided to give all this to me.

I support the immigrant children who are theoretically children of the US country since they've spent most of their lives here in fighting for education opportunity. Time spent on a land is for me, the closest proxy of your ties to a country or a government system.

If you really ask me, I believe the world is our kingdom, and our faith is the higher kingdom for all of us to defend and glorify. I truly wish that everyone will get the fair opportunity to make their fortune. As for my unfair privileged position, I can only do my best to share all this bliss with the less fortunate as much as I can.

This is a musing with no specific point. Political arguments never go anywhere.
I no longer seek to change anyone's mind.
Doing the right thing at every moment is ever more important.

Back to actuarial studying.

By the way, sometimes I have a crazy imagination that another individual placed in my shoes will cherish this privileged position so much more that they will work super harder than I am now. So, I am almost constantly being guilty for being a slacker and a wasteful person. I guess we can always strive to be a better version of ourselves.

But just imagine, if another person were given all the opportunities and resources you have, what would he or she do? And are you doing your position justice?

More musings for another day ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment