My Longest Post Yet and Your Invitation

Feeling bored with your life?

Want to meet more kind people?

Yearn to feel included in a family that feeds and cares for you constantly?

Or looking for a chance to challenge yourself?

Curious to find out what is the true meaning of life?

Eager to change the world or make a difference?

Do you want to change all the injustice in the world?

Standing out there in a demonstration is not the smartest way to do it, exposing ourselves to danger and exploitation by the cunning politicians is a huge waste of our talent and health.

The only force that can change the world, starts with you.

Explore the bright world of Tzu Chi and be part of the movement that spread Great Love and kindness to the world!

Not convinced? Read on...

In December 2011, I went to Hualien for the Tzu Chi Global Youth volunteer training camp, where it all began.

Hualien is the hub of all Tzu Chi's global activities.

A wise and selfless Buddhist nun, Cheng Yan, accepted her Master's mission to relieve all beings in suffering and spread the wisdom of Buddhism.

Her six disciples worked odd jobs to support themselves since they don't live on donations. After a heart to heart religion discussion with three Catholic nuns, Master Cheng Yan realized how little the Buddhists have contributed to charity. Her disciples started making an extra pair of baby shoes per person to start their charity foundation.

Thirty housewives answered Master's call for charity. They put away fifty cents every day from their grocery money in bamboo bank. Soon, more and more were inspired. The global Tzu Chi Charity foundation was formed.

Now, Tzu Chi has more than hundreds of thousands of volunteers and members worldwide, in four continents, 71 countries. Tzu Chi responds to all disasters in the world as soon as it strikes. We are the first to enter the sites, and the last to leave. Tzu Chi's disaster relief's work focuses on rebuilding the homes and hearts of all victims. Most of the time, the locals are inspired to turn their up-facing palms to down-facing palms that give.

Because giving is not a privilege exclusive to the wealthy, it is a right of every generous soul.

====end of history intro=================

After this retreat, I realized how silly I have been in wasting my life pursuing things that don't really make me happy - namely wealth, romance, beauty, vanity; just because the media and the people around me made me think those will will make me happy.

Listening to stories of Zulu volunteers in South Africa who would slide and climb down perilous mountain paths to care for the sick and AIDS orphans while themselves are living way below the poverty line, seventy-year-old grannies collecting recyclables and donating the proceeds for Tzu Chi's Daai TV station; seeing joyful, lively nuns living in the Abode dedicating their lives to charity and practicing Buddhism; I began to see the true meaning of life -- to give selflessly.

I always thought Tzu Ching was just another student club, you volunteer, you plan events, you try to get people to come, and you have a good time with your friends.

It's so much more than that.

As a Tzu Ching, we have the responsibility to be role models. We have to be persistent in upholding Master Chengyan's teachings on humanity and filial piety. We need to show people what Tzu Chi is, in our way of life, our manners, our actions and interactions. Tzu Chi is a group embodying the beauty of humanity.

We need to challenge ourselves to exemplify Master's teachings - being forgiving, courteous, determined, brave, patient, humble, understanding, and above all, loving.

It is a training ground for your heart, your leadership, your communication skills, and your determination.

Now that I have graduated from college, I am no longer a little Tzu Ching, cradled by the aunts and uncles. It's time for me to shoulder more responsibility and lead my fellow college Tzu Chings to greater distances.

In Tzu Chi, you get more than what you give, but you have to empty your heart to receive these wisdom and care.

Some say it's karma. For me, it's a simple law of life - we reap what we sow.

Tzu Chi spirit is a vast library of life wisdom that seems simple and commonplace. But when you start take it to your heart and practice it. Everything makes sense.

Tzu Chi is a family of volunteers giving selflessly, and caring for one another in the process. You don't just show up once. You show up and they make you family. But you have to be willing to accept that care and give it back.

This past year, I spent so much time nagging on a stubborn, rebellious kid (It was more than a debate, it was quite tormenting eventually), but when he transformed to a motivated foster brother who cared for me and protected me at the end of it. It all became worthwhile.

Now, in 2012, I vow to bring more foster brothers and sisters into this family of love and kindness. I also vow to cultivate my character and fulfill my obligations as a human being, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and a Christian.

Starting with this invitation to you, my dear friend, my dear reader.

I wish you another joyful year filled with love and laughter.

May you be blessed with the joy of giving, and bliss of loving.

Please email me, facebook me or call me if you want to learn more.

Last disclaimer:

In Tzu Chi, we do not convert people to Buddhism. As a Christian, I see Buddhism as a set of wise principles guiding me to make the right decisions in life, and love all beings as Jesus Christ has loved all of us. I am a Buddhist disciple, constantly learning and being inspired by all the stories in Tzu Chi.

Whatever prejudice or preconceived notion you have about Tzu Chi, I urge you to let go of them and see Tzu Chi with your own eyes, and experience Tzu Chi yourself.

2 comments:

  1. well written indeed.. I can feel it! :D all the very genuine and sincere feelings.. gan en!

    like this "Because giving is not a privilege exclusive to the wealthy, it is a right of every generous soul."

    let's jia you together in this big project to live up and continue the true essence of humanity! :D

    ReplyDelete