Being a gal

I am an average teenage girl. In my opinion, being a girl is a very unique experience. I would like to utilize my personal experience to examine a corner of the vast differences between the boys and the girls.
Since, my parents conceived me after a long wait of sixteen years, they were very caring and protective to me. I was never allowed to go out alone or join any camping trips on my own. I used to vex over my lack of freedom. Besides, I envied my male cousins who were always free to join those fun camping trips. I was very indignant at these biased treatments. However, I have now understood their intentions and concern about my safety. They are just trying to protect their beloved little girl. I am grateful for their protection which prevented me from the negative influences of the society.
Although this lack of venture has made me a very naïve, unsophisticated girl, I was never taunted by the obstacles I face in adapting to college life and campus life away from home. I know that the only way to ease my parents’ worries about me is to learn to be more matured and independent. As long as I have learnt to take good care of myself, they will trust me and allow me to venture out in this complicated society.
Regarding affairs of the heart, the differences are even more prominent. Whenever I have a crush on a guy that I admire, dignity and culture compels me to stay put and await the miracle that he will somehow notice me and fall for me. Frankly speaking, if the guy never knows me throughout his life, do I have to wait all my life?
On the other hand, if I am a guy, and I happened to fall for a girl, I can approach her and try to know her. Then, I can be her secret guardian who lends her a helping hand whenever she needs my help. I can also give her gifts to impress her. When the opportune moment has arrived, I can finally pop the question and ask her to be my girlfriend. Wow, what a typical yet romantic love story!
Reverse the scene, now, the hero of the story is now a girl. What do you think will happen? Simple enough, the guy will be ever so shocked when this strange girl suddenly approach him and try to ‘pikat’ him. He will be even more shocked when this weird girl suddenly confessed her love for him! Well, maybe most guys will say, “I wouldn’t mind if a girl confess her love for me, as long as I like her, it can work out,” Ha! What a blatant lie! The truth is, the guy will only accept this bold girl if and only if she is cute and attractive. Maybe my conjecture is fallacious, but that is just the typical nature of boys. Looks always come first.
Hence, I regret this predicament of the ladies, well, not all ladies, only those who were as unfortunate as me, who have neither looks nor the courage to go after the guys. Nonetheless, I believe in destiny, the folks always say, when the time comes, everyone will meet their true love and find happiness. Besides, I have the courage to make new friends. If everyone is reluctant to take the first move to bond a friendship, none of us will have any friends! Maybe my prince charming will soon emerge as one of my friends. So, I will soon get over this period of lamenting my sad fate.
On the other hand, being a girl is a lot of fun! I get the liberty to dress up in any garment I like, pants or skirts. A boy can never wear a dress or skirt (except certain traditional clothes that resemble skirts of dress), ha! I can cut my hair in a boy cut, shave them clean, keep them long, tie them in braids or curl them. Unfortunately for the boys, they cannot do that without bearing the scornful remarks and shocked looks from the public.
Besides, I can share my deepest secrets with my girl friends, cry on their shoulders, without worrying that I am not ‘macho’ enough. This is the highest privilege, being able to express my emotions without any restraint. And I can form true, sincere ‘sisterhood’ with my friends. How lucky I am!
Apart from that, I am free to be weak and scream when a roach enters the room without feeling embarrassed. Any guy who does that is sure to be sneered as a coward. Oh, pity the guys who had to face the disgusting roaches in order to remain a macho hero.
Lastly, I have the great chance and honor to be a loving mother after I get married and bear my own children. Being the sunshine and the trusted pillar of the family must be a tedious and fulfilling task. But the joy it brings, I am sure it is worth all the pain and trouble. Girls and women rule!

1 comment:

  1. If you approach a guy and he turns you down because you're physically unattractive, I think you learn a valuable lesson about him - He's not worth it.
    Find someone who appreciates the beauty within you. And try to make yourself as attractive as you can on the inside.
    IMHO a face is only as beautiful as the radiance of the heart within.

    ReplyDelete